Tuesday, June 6, 2017

The Grounds For Resentment


Monks, there are these ten grounds for resentment. What ten?

(1) Thinking: "They acted for my harm," one harbors resentment.

(2) Thinking: "They are acting for my harm," one harbors resentment.

(3) Thinking: ""They will act for my harm," one harbors resentment.

(4) Thinking: "They acted for the harm of one who is pleasing and agreeable to me," one harbors resentment.

(5) Thinking: "They are acting for the harm of one who is pleasing and agreeable to me," one harbors resentment.

(6) Thinking: "They will act for the harm of one who is pleasing and agreeable to me," one harbors resentment.

(7) Thinking: "They acted for the benefit of one who is displeasing and disagreeable to me," one harbors resentment.

(8) Thinking: "They are acting for the benefit of one who is displeasing and disagreeable to me," one harbors resentment.

(9) Thinking: "They will act for the benefit of one who is displeasing and disagreeable to me," one harbors resentment.

(10) And one become angry without a reason.

These, monks, are the ten bases of resentment.

~The Buddha, in The Anguttara Nikaya



No comments:

Post a Comment