Monday, February 1, 2016

Emptiness


Yesterday I posted the following quote from Taigen Dan Leighton's work Faces of Compassion:

"Emptiness is not a thing, some new toy or crutch to grab hold of. The greatest delusion, warned against by masters of emptiness teaching, is attachment to emptiness. Even emptiness is empty. It is simply a way of being that releases and lets go of attachments. It is a practice of opening and letting go."

The quote is speaking of the Buddhist concept of sunyata, emptiness. I asked my friend Rich Wolf his thoughts on the quote. This is his response:


"I think of it as the realization that what I am is a part of what makes up everything. Therefore, there is nothing I need to do to be a part of it, nor is there anything I can do to not be a part of it.  Trying and not trying are the same thing.  A river flows without effort."

No comments:

Post a Comment