Wednesday, February 18, 2015

I Can't Live Your Life For You


A very long time ago in China there lived a monk named Qen. During his training years in a monastery he practiced very diligently. But, despite all his efforts he did not realize Awakening, Enlightenment.

One day Qen's master ordered him to carry a letter to a distant monastery. The monastery was very far away and the round trip would take a year.

The monk Qen thought, “I don't have forever to stay in this Dharma Hall practicing meditation. I don't have the time to go on this errand.”

He consulted one of the senior monks in the monastery, a man named Genjoza.

Genjoza laughed when he heard what was bothering Qen.

Even while you travel you can still practice Zen,” Genjoza said. “I'll travel with you.”

Several days later, after all preparations were made, the two monks set out on their long journey.
One day, after a month on the road, Qen suddenly broke into tears. “I've been practicing for many years and I still haven't been able to realize anything. Now here I am roaming around the countryside on this trip to deliver a letter. There's no way I'm going to realize Enlightenment.”

When he heard this, the older monk Genjoza said, “I will take care of everything that I can take care of for you on this trip. But there are five things I can't do for you.

I can't wear your clothes for you. I can't eat for you. I can't shit for you. I can't piss for you. And I can't carry your body around and live your life for you.”

When the monk Qen heard these words he suddenly awoke from his delusions and realized Awakening, Enlightenment.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment