Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A Way to Start to the Day


It can be of great help to our individual Practice if at the beginning of each day we recite the Three Refuges and the Five Precepts.

The Three Refuges:

I go to the Buddha as my refuge.
I go to the Dharma as my refuge.
I go to the Sangha as my refuge.

For the second time, I go to the Buddha as my refuge.
For the second time, I go to the Dharma as my refuge.
For the second time, I go to the Sangha as my refuge.

For the third time, I go to the Buddha as my refuge.
For the third time, I go to the Dharma as my refuge.
For the third time, I go to the Sangha as my refuge.

(The Buddha is our Teacher, we look to his life and words for guidance. The Dharma is the Teaching, we look to it for guidance. The Sangha is the community who has chosen to guide their lives by the Teachings of the Buddha. We repeat the Refuge Vows three times because, at least once, we will be fully present to what we are saying, and its meaning.)


The Five Precepts:

I undertake the way of training to respect and protect life. I will avoid killing or harming Living Beings.

I undertake the way of training to respect and protect the property of others. I will avoid taking what is not freely given.

I undertake the way of training to respect and protect personal boundaries. I will avoid sexual and sensual misconduct.

I undertake the way of training to respect and protect others. I will avoid false, harmful, and harsh speech.

I undertake the way of training to respect and protect myself. I will avoid taking anything that causes intoxication or heedlessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment