Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Path of Altruism


Nirvana may be the final object of attainment, but at the moment it is difficult to reach. Thus the practical and realistic aim is compassion, a warm heart, serving other people, helping others, respecting others, being less selfish. By practicing these, you can gain benefit and happiness that remain longer. If you investigate the purpose of life and, with the motivation that results from this inquiry, develop a good heart--compassion and love. Using your whole life this way, each day will become useful and meaningful.

Every human being has the same potential for compassion; the only question is whether we really take any care of that potential, and develop and implement it in our daily life. My hope is that more and more people will realize the value of compassion, and so follow the path of altruism. As for myself, ever since I became a Buddhist monk, that has been my real destiny--for usually I think of myself as just one simple Buddhist monk, no more and no less.

---His Holiness the Dalai Lama---

No comments:

Post a Comment