Monday, May 16, 2016

Buddhist Mythology and Buddhist History


Another Buddhist legend says that immediately after birth the infant took seven steps and said, "I alone am honored, in heaven and on earth." There is no ancient documentary evidence for this tradition. The oldest records claim that, on his way to Benares after his enlightenment, Shakyamuni made this statement to Upaka, a young believer of another religion


On his way he met Upaka, a young man of another religion, who noted that Shakyamuni was more serene and noble than ordinary people and that he had a solemn majesty about him. Upaka asked, "Whom do you follow in becoming a monk? Who is your teacher?" Shakyamuni replied, "I am the absolute victor. I am absolutely wise. I have been enlightened to the truth and am liberated. I have no teacher. In heaven and on earth, I am the most worthy of honor." Since the opportunity was not yet ripe, the young man merely said, "I dare say that is true" but did not ask for the teaching. Later, however, he was to accept the Buddhist teaching and become a holy man.

---Kogen Mizuno---

No comments:

Post a Comment