Monday, October 12, 2015

Eating and Sleeping

The Vinaya Master Yuan asked the Ch'an Master Great Pearl, "When you practice the Way, do you use a special skill?"

"Yes, I do," Great Pearl answered.

"What is it?" Yuan asked.

"When I'm hungry, I eat," Great Pearl answered. "When I get sleepy, I sleep."

"Everyone does those things," Yuan said. "Do they not have the same skill as you?"

"They do not have the same skill," Great Pearl said.

"Why is it not the same?" Yuan asked.

Great Pearl answered, "When they eat it can't be called eating, since they do so while involved with a hundred other thoughts and plans and ideas. When they sleep it can't be called sleeping, since their mind is beset with worries and plans and fantasies. That is why they are not the same."

Yuan, the Vinaya Master, was silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment