Saturday, October 18, 2014

It Is About Your Vision


Hsiang Yen was a disciple of Master Po Chang. He was intelligent, but upon the death of his master he had still not attained awakening. He then studied under the direction of Master Wei Shan. Wei Shan asked him, "What was your face before your parents were born?" Hsiang Yen tried to answer, in vain. He retired to his room, reflected day and night, reread the texts he had studied, searched through the notes he had made during the time of Po Chang, but could not find a reply. When he presented himself to Wei Shan, the latter said to him, "I do not want to know what knowledge you have acquired, I only want to see your spiritual vision. Say something!" Hsiang Yen replied, "I do not know what to say, master. Please teach me something." But Wei Shan replied, "What use would it be if I tell you my own view?"

---Thich Nhat Hanh---

No comments:

Post a Comment