Friday, October 10, 2014

Impermanence


Most of us end up saying, "But I feel like there's a me". There is, relatively speaking, but feelings are not permanent and absolute, and neither are our bodies, perceptions, or thoughts in the convergence called "self." In the next moment, emotionally and physically, we will have changed. [Seon Master] Seung Sahn likes to describe the unreality of the statement "Ten years later I went to Paris," given the fact that every seven years every cell in our bodies is replaced and not one cell of the I who goes to Paris existed in the I who went there ten years before. Similarly, we can get an excellent sense of impermanence by contemplating what we were like in the past--physically, mentally, and spiritually.

---The Beginner's Guide to Walking the Buddha's Eightfold Path - by Jean Smith---

No comments:

Post a Comment