Friday, August 22, 2014

From the Anguttara Nikaya


One who wants to admonish another should first investigate: 'Am I or am I not one who practices complete purity in body and speech? Am I or am I not possessed of complete purity in body and speech, flawless and untainted? Are these qualities present in me or not?' If they are not, there are undoubtedly people who will say: 'Come now, practice correct bodily and verbal conduct yourself.' There are people who would say this. One who wants to admonish another should first further investigate: 'Have I developed a mind of love, free from malice towards my fellows in the holy life? Is this quality established in me or not?' If he has not, there are undoubtedly people who will say: 'Come, now, develop a mind of love yourself.' There are people who would say this.

---The Buddha---

No comments:

Post a Comment