Friday, September 18, 2015

A Letter I Received

Critical thinking and self-reflection are ingrained in my analytical mind. So, I struggle to make sense or to find agreement with following a set of commandments and convictions that hold any conceptual being before all others. It is too exact and goes against logic. With the risk of sounding cliché, Buddhism “fits” with who I am, and who I hope to become.

I have always been led by a set of ethics that have been driven mostly by empathy and compassion. Because of this, I have struggled to align myself with any doctrine that places a dogma or deity before humanity. Many atrocities perpetrated throughout history have some connection to religion, and putting faith ahead of man. A strictly dogmatic approach can be harmful. Buddhism offers no justification for causing harm to another, and that is the only reasoning I can side with.


With my experiences through life, I have proven to be not without flaws. I have allowed my ego to often cloud my thoughts. I hope to achieve peace from the dukkha that occasionally cripples me. Through training my mind to let go of my ego and snap judgments, and to be more aware, I hope to become more thoughtful and kind. I have a long way to go, but I have to start somewhere.  

______________
Note:
Dukkha = Stress, anxiety, discomfort, irritation.

No comments:

Post a Comment