Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Seven-Year-Old Seeks To Become A Buddha


There was a monk named Chih-ch'ang from the town of Kueihsi in Hsinchou prefecture. He left home when he was seven determined to see his nature. As he came to pay his respects one day, the Master [Hui-neng] asked him, "Where are you from? And what are you here for?"

Chih-ch'ang said, "This student recently went to Paifengshan in Hungchou to pay my respects to Master Ta-t'ung and to receive instruction in how to see my nature and become a buddha. But I still had questions. So I have come all this way to throw myself at the Master's feet in hopes of his compassion and instruction."

The Master said, "What exactly did he tell you? See if you can remember."

Chih-ch'ang said, "After I had been there for three months, I still hadn't received any instruction. Because I was hungry for the Dharma, I went by myself to the abbot's room, and I asked him what my original mind and my original nature were like. He said, 'Do you see the space around us or not?' I answered, 'Yes, I see it.' And he said, 'When you see this space, does it have any distinguishing features?' I answered, 'Space doesn't have any form, much less any distinguishing features.' And he said, 'Your original nature is just like space. When there is nothing at all you can see, this is true seeing. And when there is nothing at all you can know, this is true knowing. It isn't blue or yellow, long or short. Just see that your original source is completely pure and the body of your awareness is perfectly clear. This is to see your nature and become a buddha. This is also what a tathagata sees.' Although I heard this explanation, I still didn't fully understand and have come to beg the Master to instruct me."

The Master said, "What he told you still includes views, which is why you don't understand. Let me give you this gatha:

Not seeing a thing but thinking of not seeing
is like when a cloud blocks the sun's face
not knowing a thing but thinking of not knowing
is just like when lightning appears in the sky
as long a such concepts keep suddenly arising
you won't find the means to escape your confusion
but if in one thought you know you're mistaken
your own wondrous light is there shinning through."

When Chih-ch'ang heard this gatha, his mind became suddenly clear, and he offered one of his own:

"I thoughtlessly gave rise to concepts
seeking Buddhahood still attached to form
harboring the thought of enlightenment
hoping to overcome old delusions
the body of my nature and source of awareness
just went along drifting in vain
if I hadn't entered the patriarch's chamber
I'd still be lost at the fork in the road."
 
 
---The Tsungpao Edition of the Platform Sutra---

No comments:

Post a Comment