Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Four Comforts


With his heart thus unhostile and unafflicted by ill will, thus undefiled and unified, a noble disciple here and now acquires these four comforts.

He thinks: "If there is another world and there is fruit and ripening of actions well done and ill done, then it is possible that on the dissolution of the body, after death, I might be reborn in a heavenly world."

This is the first comfort acquired.

"But if there is no other world and there is no fruit and ripening of actions well done and ill done, then here and now in this life I shall be free from hostility, affliction and anxiety, and I shall live happily."

This is the second comfort acquired.

"If evil befalls one who does evil, then since I have no evil thought of anyone, how shall evil deeds bring suffering to me, doing no evil?"

This is the third comfort acquired.

"But if no evil befalls one who does evil, then I know myself to be pure in this life on both counts."

This is the fourth comfort acquired.

~The Buddha, in The Anguttara Nikaya



No comments:

Post a Comment