Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Venerable Sardinian Recipe For Hard-Cooked Eggs


I'm a fan of old recipes, from all cultures. I'm also a fan of vinegar; all types and styles of vinegar. When I came across this recipe I had to try it. Not the best way to serve eggs, but good, and a nice change. You can be creative. I foresee salads and other fun ideas with these eggs. 

Serve this dish with a drink that can stand up to the eggs.

The Technique:

Halve 8 hard-cooked eggs.

Film a large skillet with olive oil and then add about 1/4 cup of white wine vinegar. Heat the skillet until the vinegar is bubbling.

Sprinkle the pan with salt and fresh-ground black pepper. Add the eggs, cut side down.

Cook the eggs over medium heat. Turn the eggs gently a few times, until the vinegar has evaporated and they are golden.

Transfer the eggs to a platter, arranging them yolk side up.

Add a minced clove of garlic to the skillet, along with several tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley leaves and 1/2 cup of fresh bread crumbs.

Saute this mixture until the bread crumbs are golden, taking care not to burn the garlic.

Scrape the crumb mixture over the eggs and serve.

The first time I made this I served the eggs on chopped iceberg lettuce dressed with a simple vinaigrette. The lettuce added a nice fresh crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment