Friday, January 6, 2017

The Three Jewels


The Buddha = The Teacher
The Dharma = The Teaching
The Sangha = The Students of the Buddha and the Dharma

The Three Refuges

I take my refuge in the Buddha.
I take my refuge in the Dharma.
I take my refuge in the Sangha.

For the second time, I take my refuge in the Buddha.
For the second time, I take my refuge in the Dharma.
For the second time, I take my refuge in the Sangha.

For the third time, I take my refuge in the Buddha.
For the third time, I take my refuge in the Dharma.
For the third time I take my refuge in the Sangha,

We repeat the refuges three times in the hope that at least one of those times we will be mindful
 and pay attention to the words we are saying.

Taking refuge in the Three Jewels (the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha) does not mean a person is asking the Buddha or the Dharma or the Sangha to protect them or to solve their problems or to give them material things. Taking refuge in the Three Jewels means a person looks to the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha as an example and for guidance.

In the end, each person makes their own choices and lives with the consequences of those choices.

No magic, no miraclesinstead Ethics, Wisdom, and Mindfulness.


No comments:

Post a Comment