Monday, January 2, 2017

One Buddhist Practitioner's Response to the Election of Donald Trump



Since the presidential election in November, I've been silent in regards to national politics.

The reasons are several. First, I couldn't believe what had happened. It was painful that people would allow fear, bigotry, racism, homophobia, and greed to override their commitment to the ideals of the United States. But it happened. I know powerful emotions can lead one to unhealthy decisions—I have lived a life.

The second reason, and more to the point, I didn't want emotions to guide my response.

The Teaching, my training, the Dharma all advise me not project into the future. No one knows with a certainty what will happen beyond this moment.

The Teaching and my training, along with common sense, advise me to step out of the path on a moving truck.

The Teaching points us to Wisdom, to Understanding, and to Awareness. We're guided to incorporate the four ideals of Compassion, Loving-Kindness, Sympathetic Joy, and Equanimity into our lives, into our very perspectives.

I don't know yet what I'll do after January 20. I do know if I allow fear and/or anger to guide me I'll be of no help to anyone, myself included.

And I know, as with the truck bearing down on me, I do have to take action. And I realize most of that action has to do with myself and my approach.

The Buddha said we are what we think. He also said each of us must do the work.

Nelson Mandela said, “As I walked toward my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.”


Whatever my fears and hopes for the future may be, I don't want to be a prisoner of hate.




No comments:

Post a Comment